Saturday, February 12, 2011

Jackrabbits

I am not sure if it is a legal requirement or not, but everyone does it.  If you write anything about Jackrabbits you must point out that they are not rabbits by the strict definition, but hares.

Now that we got that out of the way, let's talk about what strange looking creatures these are.  I took this picture at the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Refuge, near Fremont, CA.  Their ears! They are comically large, as if drawn by a cartoonist.  When my daughter saw this photo she asked, "Are those real?" in disbelief.  She thought I had photoshoped them out of proportion.  No, this is the raw photo.  This is what they look like live.

I chose one of these pics as my desktop photo and have even named the pair--Nick and Nack. Nick is the one with the small but unmistakable notch in his ear. Life can be pretty hardscrabble for these hares, no doubt.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful shots of this pair. I don't seem to be able to get any clear pictures of any species of hare or rabbit.

    ReplyDelete