Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Metallic Green Beetles in NY

We haven't posted in a week or so because we were on vacation in New York--Long Island, Brooklyn and Manhattan, to be precise.  While we were there, we visited Wildwood State Park on the north shore of Long Island, which despite its name, is better known for a spectacularly beautiful beach on the LI Sound that stretches for a mile.  As we walked down the trail to the beach, something bright and almost iridescent green caught our eye. We spotted a half dozen of these bright green beetle critters flitting about.


They are called 'six-spotted tiger beetles' (Cicindela sexguttata), although if you look closely it appears that one of them has 8 spots on its wings.  The metallic color makes them stand out against the vegetation and ground.  I figured it was an evolutionary strategy to warn other critters of their poison, but references say that they are eaten by a variety of birds, reptiles, rodents and other bugs without adverse effects.  A few references say they can give off a foul odor, but we didn't smell anything.


Long Island has had a particularly wet spring, which creates the perfect conditions for some not-so-pretty and really annoying insects. While visiting family there, we had to battle mosquitos and worse, hoards of no-see-ums, which aren't actually invisible and can drive you crazy with their persistent and unpleasant biting. In the Bay Area, we don't have those tiny pests--just big ones, like scorpions (see this post!) and medium sized ones, like ticks (this post).






19 comments:

  1. 5/25/2014 Found a metallic green beetle without spots in Randolph, MA...beautiful creature, tossed it into the wooded area. Erocia B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw one today at my house in New Canaan, CT. Wild!

    ReplyDelete
  3. saw one today at work in wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a something that looked like this except that it has pointed tail and has gray transparent wings.

    see pics at https://scontent-a-hkg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10374070_791282940892641_1304176094953137195_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw on in my backyard in Brockton,Ma., although they're pretty I'd rather not have them around me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw on in my backyard in Brockton,Ma., although they're pretty I'd rather not have them around me!

    ReplyDelete



  8. Saw 3 this afternoon in my yard! 1 outback; where I had a 9 ft. tree cut down last week and 2 out front in an enclosed chain link area where my dogs urinate and poop! How do I get rid of them? any natural choices that won't harm dogs or cats?


    ReplyDelete
  9. Does anyone know the job of this Gods creature

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw one just now on my deck in montauk, ny

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are super cool! They eat other bugs. You may want to put them in your garden to help combat pests.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw one in my wooded backyard in Younsville, NY. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...that was Youngsville--with a G. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seen one today in my driveway in Alexandria, Ky

    ReplyDelete
  15. One in East Hampton Long Island NY

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen a couple in Cropseyville NY this season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty sure I saw one in nags head North Carolina at the beach today! It was at the shore but I took it to the grass area they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete